EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) and RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) are phenomena that that can seriously disrupt electrical circuits and electronic devices. These devices include those widely used in medical, military, energy, aerospace and industrial control applications; mass transit and rail systems; and navigation and vehicular control systems. EMI/RFI shielding made from flexible materials offers a proven way to protect these devices from the undesirable effects of EMI/RFI.
What is EMI/RFI?
EMI is a man-made or naturally-occurring phenomenon where one electromagnetic field interferes with another. The causes of EMI are numerous, and include both ambient and non-ambient sources. The effects of EMI on electronic devices can range from data losses and decreased performance to outright system failure. EMI shielding protects electronic devices against the harmful effects of electromagnetic interference propagated from any source.
RFI is electromagnetic interference in the radio frequency (RF) spectrum. RFI causes computer monitors or lights to flicker, errors in instrumentation, and disruption in communications. RFI is conducted or radiated, and is usually propagated from other electrical or electronic equipment. RFI shielding protects electronic devices against the effects of conducted or radiated RFI.
Die Cut EMI/RFI shielding from flexible materials
Electronic devices and systems can be protected against EMI/RFI through the use of shielding or barriers made from flexible materials. Die cutting provides a cost effective means of producing custom cut shielding or barrier parts that can be installed on electrical circuits and enclosures to isolate electronic components and block the transmission of damaging EMI/RFI signals.
As a production method, die cutting is quick, accurate, repeatable, and cost-effective. The process can be carried out using either CNC or non-CNC equipment. Cutting with CNC equipment can eliminate the need for the tooling that is required with traditional non-CNC die cutting, resulting in an even more cost-effective process.
Die cut EMI/RFI shielding parts from CRG
At CRG, we can produce parts for EMI/RFI shielding using CNC or traditional non-CNC cutting methods. These parts include electrical EMI/RFI gaskets and seals, spacers, strips, and other customized geometries and shapes. These parts are suitable for EMI/RFI shielding applications in electronic enclosures, electronic devices and circuits, telecommunications devices, transformers and power supplies, LCD displays (touchscreens), vehicle control systems, and more.
To produce EMI/RFI shielding parts, CRG employs a wide variety of materials. Some of the materials that we use to produce die cut EMI/RFI shielding parts include the following:
- CRG conductive elastomer. A conductive silicone that meets the requirements of the MIL-G-83528 specification.
- CRG oriented wire in silicone material. This material is a combination EMI shield and environmental pressure seal. Available in solid silicone, fluorosilicone, or sponge silicone binder.
- CRG combination material. Parts made from this material combine bonding mesh in parallel with an environmental sealing strip. The knitted mesh can be made from Monel®, SnCuFe (tin plated, copper-clad steel), or aluminum wire.
- CRG knitted wire mesh. These materials consist of an elastomeric core with knitted or knotted wire mesh over. Available in neoprene, sponge, silicone sponge, or solid silicone tubing.
- CRG conductive foam. This material consists of a closed cell foam core wrapped with a plated fabric. Parts made from this material have excellent shielding effectiveness, high durability, low compression set, and low resistance.
- Formex® polypropylene insulating and barrier materials. Formex® flame retardant materials are used by CRG to manufacture insulating and barrier parts for use in industrial and consumer electronic equipment. These parts provide significant advantages over those made from traditional electrical papers, such as fish and aramid papers, as well as thermoplastic materials and injection molded parts.
With our cutting capabilities, CRGI can produce parts with complex geometries, as well as parts with pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA) backing. In addition, we can provide secondary operations such as laminating, slitting, and bonding, where required. We can handle both small and large run orders equally well, as well as JIT production and emergency service when needed.
CRG cutting capabilities include waterjet, flex/flash, rotary, and traditional die cutting. All parts are produced in our ISO 9001:2015 registered facility, assuring customers of the highest possible quality. We can support a full range of needs, from part design and prototyping, through to final production.
If you have a need for EMI/RFI shielding parts, our sales department will be pleased to speak with you and determine your requirements. Please contact our sales department directly at email@example.com.